Sunday 22 January 2012

A picture says a thousand words

Just a quick post showing what PVNS can do to bone and realising why I was in soooo much pain because of it.

The photos are quite graphic, so just a warning for those who have a weak stomach.

I wouldn't wish this upon my worst enemy, I am soooo lucky that my PVNS has NOT recurred.. these photos were taken exactly 10 years ago and surgery this year confirmed i was in the all clear.

My PVNS was eliminated by the use of cryotherapy (freezing) to a temperature of -150 degrees Celsius. This was done to ensure the PVNS hadn't gone through to the inside of my pelvic wall. Cryotherapy also destroyed my cartilage which then meant I required a total hip replacement.... give me a hip replacement any day, if it means the below never comes back.


My femoral head after it was removed from my leg in theatre before my Total Hip Replacement in 2001.  The PVNS had eaten into each side.. The two cuts are where the surgeon made a cross section to see inside - see below.


This is a cross section of the femoral head.. The PVNS had taken a bite out of each side and pretty much destroyed my joint overall... It had also gone in and through my socket and left 2mm of my pelvic bone before it broke through to my "lady area". Imagine what it would have done to my soft tissue in there, if it does this to bone!!


Wear your scar with pride, the reason it is there may be more important to your well being than anyone could ever know.

 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, so sorry that this was your bone but it's important for people to realize how aggressive this tumor is and how rapidly it can destroy the joint. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

    ReplyDelete